Re: Imported PDF bloat

You basically have two choices:

(1) Simplify the vector diagrams by eliminating unnecessary
detail or complexity, if any. That is really the only way to make
that content "smaller" in terms of file size. "Complexity" also
includes such things as gradients. Gradients can be expressed
via a PostScript 3 / PDF 1.3 smooth shaded fill OR they can be
expressed via gazillions of itsy-bitsy, slightly different
colored polygons adjacent to each other as might be done in
PostScript Level 2 or older PDF versions or via applications
such as CorelDRAW or (older versions of) Freehand. Whether your
file is PDF, EPS, WMF or EMF (all formats with vector support),
unless you eliminate content or complexity, you will have the
bulk.

(2) Changing the PDF files to an image format will degrade
quality except for display or print at the resolution and
magnification that you generate the image for. And of course,
you must be careful of lossy image compressions.

        - Dov