Re: Summary: FrameMaker graphics: Link vs Embed (long)

> Thomas Michanek provided the following summary of the pros and cons and
> gave me permission to forward this to the lists. I've added some items from
> your posts: [...]
> Import by reference (linking), plus and minus:
> + Easy to update/replace an external image file and have the change reflected
>   everywhere in all FM documents automatically (without having to re-import)
> + (added by BR from replies received) Permits sharing a common graphic across
>   publications and authors.

I think the item you added there is covered by the first quoted item. But things
can be expressed in many ways, so I'm not sure if you meant something else.

> + (added by BR from replies received) Text can be more easily updated without
>   the time-consuming loading of large graphic images.

I don't quite understand this point, and I would even disagree. Loading of
externally linked image files can be just as time-consuming, if not more,
than internal copied-in graphics. I would say this very much depends on the
image formats used, where the image files are stored, network load, amount
of RAM, etc. In no way would I make this a definite "plus" item without
specifying the circumstances. Perhaps the person giving this item to you
could elaborate?

Thanks for sharing your summary!