Re: Mac FrameMaker - Adobe Rep Confirms Demise

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list. ]

From: "John Posada" <JPosada@xxxxxxxxxx>
> As long as Adobe fails to make a definitive statement about the product,
> but instead makes definitive statements about the policy of making
> statements, Adobe is going to be continually putting these fires
> out...with less and less success, something having to do with smoke and
> fire.

Of even bigger interest is the question what gain Adobe sees in this.
What exactly would Adobe loose if they make a reasonable statement
about the status and future of the Mac version of FrameMaker (or for
that matter, the whole product line of FM)?
Would the stock really plunge? Would the head office vanish in a
puff of smoke? Would the sales of FrameMaker or any other Adobe
product suddenly drop? Possibly yes (to the latter), if the statement
is that Adobe will immediately drop the FM product line on all
platforms, offer no practical "side-grade" path, call the users a
bunch of loosers, and tell them to use Word instead.

Assuming there *is* some sort of future for FM, is it possible that
Adobe would win respect and continued support of the user base, and
make business decisions concerning FM licenses easier, thereby
increasing both current and future sales and make the product even
more profitable?

Even if there are no plans or ongoing development for a future version
of FM, regardless of platform(s), a statement to that effect would
make it easier for people to decide whether to continue using FM.
Compared to having endless rumours and aggrevated customers that
cannot make any decisions other than the kind that will hurt future
FM upgrade sales, which is better for Adobe, FM and the users?
There have been a number of postings on the various FM forums from
people that will postpone purchase of Adobe products until a
statement is issued by Adobe. I think that means lost sales...

Official statements can be made without promising release dates
or new features. Or so I would think, not being a CEO or chairman
of a board...