Re: Can't crop document

Helen,

You wrote:

I am running Frame 7.0 on Windows 2000, and using Acrobat 5.

The page size of our documents is 7.5" x 9.0". When we had Frame 6.0, we
used to create PDF files by creating a .ps file and then distilling it. With
Frame 7.0 we are trying to use the Save as PDF feature.

When I Save as PDF with the page size set to 7.5" x 9.0", our printer says
the files are unacceptable. He says that the bleed tabs need to extend
beyond the 7.5" margin so they "bleed" when they are trimmed. The only way
we have found around this is to Save as PDF with the page size set to 8.5" x
11.0" and then crop the pages to 7.5" x 9.0" in Acrobat.

I am trying to automate this by adding a pdfmark to the files. This is what
I have added:

/pdfmark where {pop} {userdict /pdfmark /cleartomark load put} ifelse
[ /CropBox [36 72 576 720] /PAGES pdfmark

The resulting PDF page size is still 8.5" x 11". The PostScript Code box is
checked in the Customize Text Frame dialog of FrameMaker. What am I doing
wrong? Any other suggestions?

When Generate Acrobat Data is turned on, FrameMaker adds it own /PAGE cropping pdfmarks to the PS file, and these override your pdfmark.

If you need to produce a strictly print-only PDF, with no links/bookmarks: print to a .ps file with "Generate Acrobat Data" turned off, and upon distilling you'll get the page cropping you're looking for.

If would like to have the interactive features as well control the cropping, you may use the FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on -- if you turn on the "IgnorePage" function, FrameMaker's /PAGE pdfmarks are suppressed, and yours will be respected.
[ see http://www.microtype.com/TimeSavers/SPTS-FM.pdf#IgnorePAGE ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker, InDesign, Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
FrameMaker-to-PDF Assistants: Form, Navigation, Presentation, Defaults