Stupid Platform Wars - Yucck! [Was: O/S superiority [was: RE: XP andFrame]]

Bodvar,

My comments were NOT meant to start one of these stupid,
non-ending platform wars!

The issue was that of "upgrading" from Windows 2000 to XP
and the relative stability of XP.

Please understand that we have quite a bit of experience with
not only the old MacOS versions, but MacOS X as well. I run a
system with MacOS X and a whole shipload of applications in my
office. However, I don't delude myself into making believe that
it doesn't freeze and/or crash on occasion. And my experience
is not unlike that of others at Adobe. Its much more reliable
than MacOS 9 and earlier, but hardly bulletproof. There's a
reason why the MacOS X System Update control panel seems to have
a critical operating system update, including security update,
for me to download and install ever few weeks. And much of the
work that goes into the MacOS X "dot" and "dot dot" releases
is associated with fixing bugs including OS hangers and crashers.
And that it is good that at least Apple internally hasn't deluded
itself into thinking that its product is anywhere near perfect.

Similarly, Windows 2000 and XP are much more reliable than the
Windows'9x/Me systems. And there is a steady flow of fixes for
them, as well. One of the bigger challenges that Windows has
is that it is not as "closed" a system in the sense that many
thousands of companies provide peripherals for Windows-based
systems and correspondingly, must provide drivers for same, making
it more difficult to control the all the variables caused by
flaky peripherals and even flakier device drivers written by
the providers of said-peripherals.

I try to take a dispassionate view towards computer "platforms."
I don't worship my computer, its operating system, the company
that produced either, or the founder(s) of same. Maybe that's
why I don't foam at the mouth and go into trances when describing
my computing experiences. I haven't and won't turn it into a
religion and/or personality cult.

Enough with this mishagoss already! I will not discuss platforms
on any of the Framers lists anymore.

        - Dov

*

*