Re: Apparently Email Forwarding's Usefulness has Sort of Ended

Framers:  See Bill Hall's definitive comments below
of how M$ email programs read forwarded messages
as attachments, so that they get nuked.   Plus, I let
myself vent a few words on the same subject in
response to his comments.

I hope this helps.      CH

Hello Bill Hall,

Thanks for your tip.

I did as a matter of fact already do what you're
suggesting, the second time that I sent my message.

I didn't suspect the full problem right away, because in
my personal email program  (Netscape Messenger 4.79)
attachments don't look anything whatever like forwarded
messages.  And the combination of Netscape Messenger
and Norton AntiVirus scans all incoming and also
all outgoing email messages on my machine, so no
Framer actually got any viruses from me.

I've used a few versions of Outlook at contract jobs,
and even there they haven't LOOKED exactly the same.
Attachments had little logos  (FrameMaker, MSWord,
Visio, or whatever), whereas forwarded messages had
sort of a plain box thing.  So I can't account why your
version of Outlook called a forwarded message an
attachment.  Good old Microsoft quality, I guess.

Outlook driving Messenger out of the marketplace
is one more example of Gresham's Law of Software.

I think I did make one mistake the first time that I sent
that message, which was forgetting to nuke the HTML
transmission option;  Netscape Messenger gives you a
dialog box wherein you can do that.  I'm VERY sorry that
my negligence in that respect may have distracted some
Framers from what was turning into a very spirited and
serious debate on the future  (if any)  of the for-profit
packaged-software industry, including Adobe and
FrameMaker.

Chuck Hastings      cwh2@earthlink.net

Vintage Silicon Logic         San José and Seattle

HALL Bill wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Outlook showed that the mail had an attachment. Given the number of
spam and virus messages I simply delete any mail with an attachment
unless I know exactly who it is from and have a good idea what the
attachment is.

> For this reason, if you are forwarding to people running M$ mail
products (e.g., outlook, outlook express) you are much better off
embedding the forwarded document rather than sending it as an attached
.eml or whatever format your system uses.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7120&mode=thread&order=0

> | > OpenOffice.org software is available for Windows, Linux, and even
> | > Mac OS X (but it's tricky to install for Mac).  You can get
> | > OpenOffice.org software from the OpenOffice.org web site:
> | >
> | > http://www.openoffice.org/
> | >
> | > KWord: the KDE project's word processor, KWord, is advertised as a

> | > FrameMaker-like word processor.  It's frame-based.  You need to be

> | > running KDE to use it, so it is limited to platforms (such as
Linux)