Re: OS X Native FrameMaker

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.]

From: "Brad Anderson" <brad@FrameUsers.com>
> For what it's worth, I'd like to put together a petition for Mac users
> that can be presented to Adobe. I'd like to see one of the following happen:
>
> 1) FrameMaker ported to OSX
> or
> 2) InDesign get support for variables (running headers/footers), numbering
>    and cross-references in the next release
>
> If you'd like to be part of the petition, please send me the following:
> 1) Your Name
> 2) Company Name
> 3) Number of Frame licenses (for the Mac)
> 4) Which option (or both) above would be optimal?
> 5) When would you upgrade (if 1) or 2) were available tomorrow)?

Maybe you should add or check for a third alternative:
3) FrameMaker in an X Windows/Motif version running under OS X
   (basically porting the existing UNIX versions "as is")

I've seen several Mac people who've said they would accept such
an alternative, which simply must be much easier than porting FM
to a native carbonized version on OS X. Maybe Adobe isn't
considering it, but it would be better than Adobe closing the
door on OS X completely. This assumes that running FM in Classic
under OS X won't be possible for new Macs.

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/