Re: Displaying text from a marker: <$marker1>, <$marker2>... <$marker3> etc. ?

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "Yves Barbion" <yb@atek.be>
> I know that FrameMaker 7 has 12 Running H/F VARIABLES, but it only has
> 2 <$marker> BUILDING BLOCKS: <$marker1 and $marker2>. The purpose of
> these markers is to "mark" text on the body pages which you want to
> include in the running H/F. They are typically used when you have very
> long titles and you only want to include PART of them in the running H/F.
> Therefore, the building block <$paratext[Chapter Title]>, e.g., is not
> an option because it includes the COMPLETE text of the Chapter Title.

Apart from the solutions that Peter Gold gave (below), there is yet
another twist you might consider:
* If you're not using autonumbering *at all* for those long titles,
  you may use the autonumbering for the short title. If you select to
  use a character tag for the autonumbering that makes it very small
  and invisible, and perhaps position it at "End of Paragraph", you
  may use <$paranum[Chapter Title]> to put in your running H/F.

The advantage over variables is that variables cannot change value
within a file, whereas autonumbering is part of each paragraph.
It's also easier to access the Paragraph Designer than the Variable
dialog for changing the short title.

From: "Peter Gold" <peter@knowhowpro.com>