Re: Round-tripping FM <--> XML while preserving condition formats and other stuff

Hedley,
  Tassos Anastasiou and I have such a plug-in. The catch is that if you want to round-trip all conditions, and you want the XML to be valid, you may need to change the DTD. Suppose you have elements that the EDD does not allow to be repeated. Your FM document may nevertheless have multiple copies, each with different conditions. With all conditions shown, the FM document is not valid, but with combinations of conditions shown that you will actually use to publish the document, only one repetition appears and the document is valid. To preserve all repetitions in XML, your DTD (if you are using one) will need to make the element repeatable.
        --Lynne

At 09:05 PM 10/23/2003, hedley_finger@myob.com.au wrote:

>All:
>
>Has anybody developed API plug-ins to round trip FrameMaker documents to
>XML and back, preserving condition formats?  Any other applications that
>preserve FrameMaker-peculiar features in exported XML for round tripping
>would be nice, e.g. exporting system variables as non-empty elements, then
>restoring them as system variables on re-import.
>
>[Windows XP Pro, FrameMaker 7.0p578, FrameScript 2.1r3, Enhance 2.04,
>Acrobat 5.05, mif2go 33u34, WebWorks Publisher 7.05, IXgen 7.2p055, HTML
>Help Workshop 4.74 build 8702.0, HTML Help 1.31]
>
>Regards,
>Hedley
>
>--
>Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
>      subscribe framers your@email.address
>      help
>      end
>to <mailto:majordomo@omsys.com?Subject=Subscribe%20Free%20Framers>.
>
>Browse <http://www.freeframers.org/>.  Learn from and contribute to
>the FrameMaker Wiki at <http://www.freeframers.org/wiki/>.
>
>Hedley Finger
>Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5.x
>Technical Communications/Best Practice Mentor
>MYOB Australia Pty Ltd  <http://www.myob.com.au>
>P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
>12 Wesley Court   Tally Ho Business Park   East Burwood 3151   Australia
>Tel. +61 3 9222 9992 x 7421  Fax. +61 3 9222 9880  Mob. +61 412 461 558
><mailto:hedley_finger AT myob.com.au>
>
>(C) MYOB Technology Pty Ltd

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting and training
lprice@txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284

The program for the 2003 FrameUsers Conference includes several
presentations and training on XML and structured documents. See
http://www.FrameUsers.com for more information.