Re: Tabbed text wrapping when not desired

I assume there are four fields---the description field and 3 price fields.

I also assume that the three tab stops for the prices are all right tabs,
thus the total length (including the tab stops) of the three prices is a
known constant.

I can think of only one solution to your dilemma:

1. Even though the font you're using is not monospaced, you must operate on
the premise that it is monospaced, thus you know exactly how many
characters will fit on a line for a given font size. Let's say that the
characters per line with this assumption is 50.

2.  In the pre-processing that is performed between the database and the
production of the MIF files, you must also calculate the string length of
the description field, divide it by 50, and determine the remainder, which
is the character count in the last line of the description.

3. Having now determined how many characters are in the last line of the
description, and also knowing the constant length of the three price fields
(including the 3 tab stops), you can now determine whether the three price
fields can fit on on the same line as the last line of the description. If
they won't fit, you insert into the MIF a soft return before the first tab
stop.

And by the way, if you were using UniMerge to produce the MIF file from the
database output (in character-delimited fields, for instance) UniMerge's
string manipulation commands could be used to easily accomplish what I have
described above. The final UniMerge command would be
IF (last_line > X)
put in a soft return before the tab stop preceding the first price
ELSE
prices go on same line as last line of description
END
Where X is the maximum allowable number of description characters in the
last line in order for it to also include the fixed length of the prices.
AND
last_line is a UniMege-defined user variable whose value is obtained by the
process described in step 2 above.

DW Emory <danemory@globalcrossing.net>