Re: Index levels

Scott queried ...
> >> Is there a way to have similar indexes fall under the same
> >> index noun.
> >> Example here is lets say we have:
> >> rubber boots
> >> rubber hammers
> >> rubber tires
> >> rubber baby buggy bumpers
> >> Can we have the index build under:
> >> Rubber
> >>            Baby Buggy Bumpers
> >>            Boots
> >>            Hammers
> >>            Tires
> >> Can we do this without reworking the markers?

Tammy solved ...
> > You kinda' have to rework your markers, but not much.
> > To have this setup, you need the following markers for each entry:
> >
> > Rubber:Baby Buggy Bumpers
> > Rubber:Boots
> > Rubber:Hammers
> > Rubber:Tires
> >
> > This means that for a marker set up as Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, you
> > just
> > need to go back and add a colon between Rubber and Baby Bugger
> > Bumpers.

Scott demurred ...
> I should have clairified myself. This indexing issue is for several
> 1000-page catalogs. Going in and changing the markers is not an option.
> We get the indexing from our imported mif code out of filemaker.

Hedley suggested ...

Can you extract the catalog from FileMaker, then massage to get what the
customer wants, throw away the file when finished, then regenerate for the
next release?

If so you could use the Find/Replace dialogue to Find Marker Text 'rubber'
and Replace With 'Rubber:'.

Or you could invest in Frank Stearns' IXgen utility which can extract the
text of all the markers to a large table in a single document, edit them by
hand -- much easier when they are all in alphabetical order, and use normal
text search and replace, etc.  Then use IXgen to write the text back to all
the markers for regenerating the index.

OR you could write a FrameScript to examine successive entries in the IXgen
table and, where the first part of two or more successive entries matched,
split those entries with a colon (:) as you would have done by hand.  (Rick
Quatro, where are you?)

Check out <http://www.fsatools.com/fsaintro.html>.
--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

(C) MYOB Limited 2002