RE: Master page problem importing a book from XML

hi Lynne

In my experience, if formatting depends on attribute values of (high-level)
book elements, FM can only apply this formatting correctly by updating the
book. Not only the application of master pages, but every type of
formatting. Especially easy to see if you're working with languages like
Russian and Greek: updating the book is needed for showing the correct glyps
(ie: assign the correct font), depending on the "lang" attribute of the book
element :-)

so, is it an bug or just one of the
"things-you-need-to-know-when-working-with-FM"?

by the way, thanks for a new EDD-template! I've always wanted to have a
simple way of commenting out parts of the EDD-structure. One little thing
remains a problem: I like to use another font in my EDD's. Can I create a
"elemcat"-file of my own, (how?) or should I just use the way I'm using now
(by exporting the element catalog of the EDD?)

groet
Theun
t.fleer at tedopres dot com

book from XML (or SGML). An EDD
> can assign formatting or context labels based on a context determined by
any ancestor
> of an element, or by adjacent siblings of any ancestor. In
> particular, formatting of elements within a book component may
> be determined by elements in the book itself. When master pages
> are assigned during import of an XML book, however, it seems
> these elements are not considered. From the symptoms it seems
> likely that FM 7.0 applies master pages as each book component is
> completed instead of after processing the entire book.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> When I open the XML document, no custom master pages are applied.
> The problem is solved by updating the book and checking the Apply Master
Pages box,

lprice@txstruct.com http://www.txstruct.com