RE: FM to PDF error after upgrading to Acrobat 5 -- work-around

Steven,

It turns out that it also possibly true that your "Acrobat Distiller"
PostScript driver instance is misconfigured as well. Make sure that
the driver is configured for "Download Softfont" such that
substitutions (such as Arial by Helvetica which Distiller substitutes
its own Arial Type 1 font for) are not allowed.

Also make sure that the Windows font directory has precedence over
other directories in the order of directories that Distiller searches
for fonts for embedding.

Also, if you actually have license for "real" Times and Helvetica, you
can dump the Times New Roman and Arial Type 1 fonts from the Acrobat
fonts directory and copy the Times and Helvetica .PFB and .PFM files
into that directory (and the PFM subdirectory) and similarly avoid
problems (as well as use Times and Helvetica as the substitution for
unembedded Times and Helvetica in old PDF files.

        - Dov

*

*