Re: The Age-Old Illustrator-to-Frame Question (and Gripe)

At 11/21/2002 10:35 AM, Thomas Michanek wrote:
>From: "Dov Isaacs" <isaacs@Adobe.COM>
>
>The problem with this statement is that it's not made by the users...
>In fact, quite a number of users today expect or require high-quality
>vector graphics that they can see and annotate on-screen.
>Why isn't it possible for Illustrator to include a higher-resolution
>TIFF preview, or a WMF preview? AFAIK, there are no limitations in
>the EPS preview format that would make this impossible. Of course,
>the import filter for EPS in FM would have to be improved.
>
>I understand all the technical background and reasoning behind the
>current situation of AI, PDF and EPS files, but isn't time to start
>making changes to support the requirements of today, instead of
>forcing users to accept old, sub-standard implementations?
>

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert

Thomas,

My posting was primarily to clarify why it appeared that FrameMaker
did indeed have an Illustrator import filter and what the problem
is with regards to EPS.

Clearly, Adobe does recognize that higher quality preview of EPS
content is necessary. Newer applications, such as InDesign in fact
do include the overhead of integrating full PostScript and PDF
interpretation within the program itself. It does, of course, come
with an overhead cost.

        - Dov