Re: Running H/F question

[original message taken from FrameUsers, this reply sent only to Free Framers]

From: "Links, Diederik" <D.Links@hde.nl>
> My documents header is formatted as follows:
>
> [Running H/F 2: Running H/F 3]   ->  example [Measurement: Size limitations]
>
> H/F 2 refers to "Head2", H/F 3 refers to "Head3".
> It works fine, but . . . is there a way to reset H/F 3 (as in the paragraph
> numbering) so that when I have the next Head2 but there is not a Head3 to
> refer to, the header will display [Control options:] instead of [Control

A Running H/F variable always picks up the latest instance of the
paragraph tag, regardless on which page it's on. No way around it
(unless I'm having a blackout). You have three options:

1. Split the document into separate files whenever you have a new Head2
   without a Head3 on the same page. The Running H/F variables don't
   pick up information from previous files.

2. Insert an empty or "invisible" version of Head3 on that page.
   To avoid it being included in the TOC, make a special Head3Empty
   paragraph tag and use that in your Running H/F variable definition:
   "<$paratext[Head3,Head3Empty]>" (FM uses the one that it finds)

3. Make a special master page with a different running header/footer.

I would think that option 2 is the easiest one.