Re: Going backwards....PDF to Frame

As Jim and Bernard have pointed out, Acrobat 5 does permit saving to RTF.
However, it does at best a half-hearted job and will require massive (not merely
"a lot") of manual manipulation and cleanup to use in FrameMaker:  graphics
don't come across; each line of text is a separate paragraph; tables are
destroyed; and styles are only about 75% complete.

While much of this may be solved via macros in Word, a significant amount can
not and will require time-consuming handwork to correct.

Due to these deficiencies, external tools that do maintain the majority of this
information are a much better and very cost-effective means to convert PDF to
RTF and thence to FrameMaker, especially if you have a large number of pages to
rebuild from PDF.

and Bernard Gagne wrote:

> If you have Acrobat 5 you can save the document as RTF. While you will
> still have a fair amount of reformatting to do, at least it will save you
> most of the typing.
>
> If you don't have Acrobat 5, the best I can suggest is to open the document
> in Acrobat in "Continuous" view mode, select everything (CTRL-a) and paste
> it into an empty Frame document. You will have more editing to do than with
> the first method, but it still will save you a lot of re-typing.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley@infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
 Hockessin, DE  USA  19707      WWWeb: http://www.infocon.com/