Re: Source Control

 From the brochures, it sounds like FM7 should have something usable. For
the developers, I'd recommend CVS, too. Aside from SourceSafe, the only
other one I know about is ClearCase. And ClearCase will cost you
thousands of dollars *per person*. My husband has used both, and the way
ClearCase was used at the last company he worked for, they could have
used CVS with no loss in features.

--Ananda

On Friday, April 19, 2002, at 12:32 PM, Lee Creighton wrote:

> A message on this list reminded me of a problem we are going to have to
> rectify soon.
>
> For source control, our developers use Microsoft's Visual Source Safe.
> So, by default, we are using it too. We have an enormous amount of
> documentation, and a huge help system. All in all, we're talking about
> thousands of files that are shared among the four technical writers in
> my group.
>
> Source safe is really not up to the task, giving us frequent crashes
> and database corruptions. So, we are looking for another source control
> system. Our Linux guy is pro-CVS. I hear that Framemaker 7 may have
> some sort of source control system as well.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation for us? Since the developers are changing,
> we have the opportunity to change ourselves, including the option of
> using something totally different than the developers.

Ananda Stevens
Pixels Marketing and Product Management
Pixels Digital
http://www.pixels.net