RE: Screen capture, display properties, CMYK printing

First of all, FrameMaker does NOT have a "direct export" to PDF.
The "save as" function, even when it will be properly working in
the next major release of FrameMaker, generates PostScript via
the driver for subsequent distillation. Thus, in terms of the
quality of the PostScript itself, it will really be no different
than that generated via the "print" function to the Acrobat Distiller
printer instance. This is obviously not true with InDesign, Illustrator,
and Photoshop that internally support the full Adobe imaging model
encompassing PostScript 3 and PDF 1.4.

With regards to what is "print ready" or not, conceivably, except
for spot color, you should be able to go to press with RGB PostScript
or RGB PDF. The PostScript language REQUIRES that RIPs provide full
support for automatic conversion of RGB to CMYK for devices requiring
CMYK or vice versa if necessary (yes, there are some RGB devices).
The REAL problem generally is that such automatic conversions may or
may not provide the exact colors that you want or need. And spot
colors are also problematic. To further complicate matters, there are
some prepress "added-value" programs that pre-process PostScript
and many prepress professionals that just don't understand anything
other than G-d-given CMYK and spot colors.

I have very successfully produced offset-printed four-color output
from GDI programs including FrameMaker.

If one insists on CMYK PDF, there are a number of tools including
pre-Distiller PostScript preprocessors and even more convenient,
Acrobat plugins from Quite and EnFocus that do admirable jobs in
converting RGB to device-CMYK. (One PostScript preprocessor also
claims to be able to reconstruct spot colors successfully.)

        - Dov