RE: Privatization of the commons considered harmful.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:19:13 -0700 (MST), Eric Dunn
via <owner-framers@omsys.com> wrote [snipped]:

>Yet Jeremy runs his own company and it is his company
>that hosts and therefor pays for FreeFramers.

It's free with our Web hosting account.  We run a
few other lists too, having nothing to do with
Frame or any tech issues.  This is available from
*many* IPPs, as part of accounts that are under
$30/month (including 100MB Web space).  For example,
pair includes it as PairLists:
  http://www.pair.com/

>How well and how free will his service be if he has to
>support thousands of users instead of the hundreds he
>currently claims?

Exactly the same, zero cost regardless of volume.
Really.  Cost is a seriously overstated issue.
Why should anyone else pay for our Web server,
for Pete's sake?  I pay more for espresso...

>And as far as the cost to Jeremy goes, doesn't he
>benefit from the advertising that the omsys.com
>address gives his company?

Not as far as I can tell.  Our sales come from
direct referrals (often writers who move to new
companies) and from our Web site (ranked high in
the search engines, though we *never* "submit"
to them).  Don't think we've ever gotten one from
Free Framers; people don't bother looking at our
Web site unless they are looking for Mif2Go, and
why should they?  We have *no* ads, and no rules
preferring Mif2Go over WWP... I'd consider that
unethical.  We're not Enron... ;-)

>I'm a member of (and cross post to) both lists.
>I will continue to do so.

Actually, Eric, most of your cross-posts have *not*
appeared on Free Framers this year, because they
bounced to me, as non-member submissions.  I just
got around to checking why, and you are subbed as:
  edunn@transport.bombardier.com
but posting as:
  eric.dunn@ca.transport.bombardier.com
which looks like somebody else to Majordomo, He
Who Must Be Obeyed.  ;-)  I often (manually) repost
such messages myself, but not when they are cross
posts.  Practically everyone on Free Framers also
reads Framers, so cross-posts, with rare exceptions,
are more nuisance than aid.

So, if you want your addy changed, let me know...
or use the old one when posting to omsys.  Thanks!

>I also congratulate both Brad and Jeremy for the
>fine work each of them has done to support the
>FrameMaker community.

Thank you for your kind words!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/