Bullet ruins TOC numbering?

...I haven't found an answer @ Adobe, techwr-l or the FM help yet,
but somehow this seems like a fantastically simple problem, so I
apologize if it's old hat by now...

Scenario:
1) FM5.5.6 on Solaris 8, thirteen chapter book + TOC & IX
2) TOC picks up Head1 & Head2, book uses "1-2" style for
   page numbers (in chapters & in TOC). TOC style is set
   to use <$paranumonly[ChapNum,AppdxNum]>-<$curpagenum>.
3) Certain parts of the TOC are not numbering correctly --
   rather than referring to page "5-2", it refers to
   "q-2" or "n-2".
4) This error is ALWAYS found after a bulleted paragraph.
   Bullets use n, q or l in ZapfDingbats, and all bullets
   are part of a unique autonumbering flow (not shared with
   any other pgf format).

   So, for example, if I have the following structure:
   (in the chapter, not the TOC)
   Head1
    some body text
    Head2

   ...then everything works. However, if I have:
   Head1
    some body text
    a bullet list
     Head2

   ...then TOC refers to "Head2" as being on "q-3" rather
   than "5-3" (for example). Once the TOC entry becomes
   incorrect, all subsequent TOC entries for that chapter
   are also broken. The pages themselves are numbered correctly,
   it's just the TOC entry that's broken.

5) Headings are not part of any autonumber sequence, and
   the entire book is in Flow A.

6) The broken headings are not using overrides, and neither
   are the bullets. Whether a broken entry gets "q" or "l"
   as their prefix appears to be random, or maybe it's just
   more complex than I can see in this short book.

Ideas? This is replicable -- if I add a bullet list to
any chapter, then the TOC refs for that chapter will break.
This occurs if I put the bullets in a unique numbering flow,
in a shared flow, and in no flow at all. It's almost like the
bullet format isn't closing itself correctly or something.

Thanks for your time. I apologize again if it's a foolish question;
I'm pretty sure I'm missing something trivial.

Martin A.
Avant! Beaverton OR