Re: How good is FrameMaker XML export? Tools?

At 10:52 AM 9/27/01 -0700, Joe Woodard wrote:
>How good is the XML created by an XML export by FrameMaker? I believe it's
>not 'well-formed' XML. Are there tools for modifying or enhancing
>Framemaker's XML export function? Is there a difference between the
>XML exported by Frame and Frame+SGML?
There is a huge difference between FrameMaker and FM+SGML in exporting
XML.. In FrameMaker, tags in unstructured documents must be mapped
corresponding elements. The XML output should be well-formed, but it cannot
be made to conform to an XML DTD. Moreover, since unstructured documents
have no way of storing metadata, metadata, in the form of element
attributes cannot be exported.

In FM+SGML, however, you can create structured documents that conform to a
DTD, and those documents can contain metadat in the form of attributes.
When you export an FM+SGML structured doc to XML, the output will be
well-formed and DTD conformant, and the attributes values will be
preserved. FM+SGML also has the capability, on export to XML, to produce a
Cascading Style Sheet file for the exported XML document. Allegedly, using
WWP with FM+SGML 6.0 will produce even better formatting information for
the XML output.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663