Re: Russian in Frame?

----- Original Message -----

From: "Mark Barratt" <markb@textmatters.com>

To: "Framers List" <framers@FrameUsers.com>

Cc: "Framers@Omsys. Com" <framers@omsys.com>

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 9:44 PM

Subject: Russian in Frame?

Hi, Mark.

> I know this has come up before but I wasn't paying attention.
>
> What's the best way of dealing with Russian text in Frame?
Save as RTF in Word and import to FM.

Typographically Russian text usually required to use the automatic word's
hyphenations and the justified alignment - not the left alignment as
Russian/Cyrillic words are more lengthy compare English in general. There
are some not-in-market Russian hyphenation's FM plug-ins.

Most people use the function of automatic inserting of all possible soft
hyphenations in Russian text inside MS Word/MSOffice with the help of
third-party Cyrillic Proof-reading tools like Informatics' Inc. "ORFO",
Tekstar "Unispell" or Ukrainian "Ruta&Praj" software. After import MSWord or
RTF text with pre-inserted soft hyphenations into FM/Frame+SGML it works
well automatically according to Para style setting.

There are some specific hyphenation Para settings for Russian as the FM has
build-in table "letter-symbol", and some Russian letters covered FM symbols
positions.

> I have some PostScript Cyrillic fonts, but I imagine it's not that
> straightforward: copy will be provided in Word.

If you use ATM 4.1 with Win98, Win ME, Win NT4, W2k, Win XP and good PS
Cyrillic fonts, you'll see right Russian text in MSWord/MSOffice.

It's a good way to use also most Windows MS/Monotype TrueType fonts like
Arial, Times New Roman, Courier, Georgia, Verdana, Tahoma etc.

In MacOS you can use some fonts from Cyrillic Language Kit that included to
MacOS 9.

> I also have to export the result to html...
The Frame owned export to UTF-8 HTML/XML for Russian language is possible by
strange and nice way. I used a scheme "ANSI FrameRoman (Russian 1251 in
fact) =>Shift-JIS (Russian part of Shift-JIS)=>UTF-8" in the Reference
pages. Feel free ask if you need details. I can send a Russian-tuned FM
template for XML/HTML UTF-8 export.

Yet such work with another languages used Cyrillic like Ukraine,
Byelorussian, Serbian, Macedonian is impossible die to limit of Russian only
Cyrillic support in Shift-JIS encoding.

Another solution - the best way is to use Web Works Professional -- you can
try it with an evaluation license.

Web Works Professional is only one conversion tools knowing to me that
supports FM/MIF text string customer mapping like
"any-FM-encoding-to-any-output-encoding" for each used [font/text string] in
FM documents.

Again, you'll need to create own FrameRoman/Cyrillic-to-UTF8 char mapping
table as it was omitted in the WWork Pro templates.