Re: XML when?

Lee:

> >Why is it taking so long for Adobe to include XML handling in
> >FrameMaker+SGML (FMS)?  There is no need to include the full
box-and-dice
> >of schemas, XSL, XSLT, well-formed but not valid XML.  But, given that
FMS
> >can round-trip SGML and that XML is a subset of SGML, surely it is a
fairly
> >simple task to support DTDs, document oriented XML, and validation as a
> >first step?  All the rest can come later when the standards firm up.
>
> Well... one could talk about parsers and entities, Unicode, namespaces,
and an apparent disinterest on the part of XML > > content creators in
valid XML, but I think this was rhetorical question, yes?

> ...Lee

Rhetorical?  You judge.  We are looking to modify our workflow to
single-source print, PDF, help, and Web content.  We are looking at
personalizing the Web content so that it is customized on the fly according
to the user's login profile.  The Web content will eventually be in XML so
we can use custom tags, replacing HTML tags, and servlets to assist the
on-demand personalization process.

We may be using a model where FrameMaker+SGML continues to be the primary
authoring environment, or something like ArborText Epic is the primary
authoring environment and FM+SGML becomes the conversion filter for press
and PDF output.  Hence the need for FM+SGML <--> XML.  Unicode and
namespaces are not an issue.

Or perhaps we just find a tools supplier who is a little more attuned to
the way the market is heading and a little less flippant.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor