RE: "Unavailable" Fonts

There is a very good reason to provide a preferences setting for
whether or not to remember missing font names.

As we've all seen, most of the time we want to make the names
of unavailable fonts go away so that we aren't continually plagued
by warning messages when we open the affected files.

But consider the case when someone else, such as a client, sends
you a FrameMaker file to work on which uses fonts that you do not
have installed on your system. If you've set FrameMaker to not
remember missing font names, it will permanently replace all
unavailable fonts with some "appropriate" substitute font that is
installed on your system. When you send the file back to your
client, the first thing they see is that you've corrupted their file by
clobbering their carefully chosen fonts. On the other hand, if you
set FrameMaker to remember the names, the font substitution
does *not* affect the file itself--it only affects how you see it on
your system by using substituted fonts during the current editing
session.

Does this preference item make more sense to you now?

My opinions only; I don't speak for Dialogic or Intel...
Fred Ridder (Fred.Ridder@Dialogic.com)
Senior Publishing System Analyst
Dialogic, an Intel company
Parsippany, NJ

<much snippage>

> Until these recent posts, I had no idea that Frame had a "Preference" as
> "set Frame not to remember missing fonts".
> Learning this caused a mixture of "Aaahh" , "What the *&^%%$ is that
for?",
> and "HOW do you set this???". I have to report that I searched the FM help
> fruitlessly (as usual):
> neither "font" nor "missing" yielded anything. I probably should have
searched
> for "Preferences", but if I knew that I wouldn't be searching the help.