Working in double spreads [was "RE: [austechwriter] Corel Ventura Publisher"]

----- Forwarded by Hedley Finger/AU/MYOB on 28-11-2000 03:19 PM -----

                    hedley_finger@m
                    yob.com.au             To:     austechwriter@egroups.com
                                           cc:
                    28-11-2000             Subject:     Working in double spreads [was "RE: [austechwriter]
                    02:32 PM               Corel Ventura Publisher"]
                    Please respond
                    austechwriter

All:

A major drawback of FrameMaker is that it does not allow you to work in
double-spreads as every other respectable desktop publishing program does.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a photograph right across the top of two facing
pages, or a wide table that does not need to be turned to be accommodated?
Malcolm Sinclair and Mark Kopfler have been discussing this problem ...

> Here's the layout (it's for a System Manual):
>    - left pages devoted to side-headed text
>    - right pages devoted to margin-to-margin illustrations synchronised
> with the
>      left page text
> [...]
>
> One user recently suggested putting the two A4s [portrait pages] together
on a landscape
> A3 page (thanks, Hedley!). Although this is the best approach I have yet
> seen, there would still be maintenance difficulties.

For those intrigued as to how to set up a synchronised double-spread of the
type Malcolm proposes, I suggested an A3 landscape page with a text frame
stretching right across it.  The L page would consist of the sidehead area,
the R page of the body area, and the sidehead/body gap would be the gutter.

You would have to set up your own page counters in text frames exposed on
the body pages as, say, flow C.  Cross-references would have to be in two
parts, one for the <$paratext> and another pointing to the <$paranum> of
the page counter.

ToCs and IXs could possibly be managed by generating entries with empty
"page numbers" BUT with Hypertext markers on.  A FrameScript could loop
over the entries to retrieve the page counter value from the target pages
referenced by the Hypertext markers, and insert them into the entries at
the appropriate point.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/2/_/13816/_/975382231/

To resubscribe, send a blank email to:

austechwriter-subscribe@egroups.com