RE: indexing bug when using <$nopage>

Terry n'all:

> From: Terry Smith@NEON on 11/20/2000 06:01 PM
> I don't understand what you mean by a "separate utility file" for index
> cross references. I definitely monkey with <$singlepage>, so I'd like to
> know how to do whatever it is you're describing. Can you provide more
> detail?

> > To avoid monkeying around with <$singlepage> directives, etc. I would
> > recommend that you put all Index cross-references in a separate utility
> > file. You can tell FrameMaker to ignore this file when printing.
Having
> > xrefs in a separate file also helps when chapters participate in
different
> > books in which some xrefs do not have targets.  In these cases, each
book
> > file can reference its own xref file which contains just those relevant
> > the index entries generated from the chapters in that book.

Open a new blank document and add it to the book as, say, Ix-Xref.fm.

Type out your ** Index ** cross-references, for example,

    dogs. See canines.
    cats. See felines; Also musicals.
    pots See also pans

Put index markers at the beginning of each line:

    <$nopage>dogs. <italic>See<Default Para Font> canines.
    <$nopage>cats. <italic>See<Default Para Font> felines\;
<italic>Also<Default Para Font> musicals
    <$nopage>pots:<italic>See also<Default Para Font> pans[pots: ]

Generate/Update from the book file; the above entries are correctly
interpolated in the generated Index.

When you go to print, move Ix-Xref.fm to the Don't Print column.

Advantages:
@  All your xrefs are in one place where you can maintain them easily.
@  You don't need to use <$singlepage> at all because you don't have 'real'
entries mixed with xref entries.
@  You can print out all your Index xrefs and check with the generated
Index that they actually have targets.  Much easier than hunting through
the generated Index looking for See and See also xrefs, checking targets
exist, and then editing the markers buried in chapters and appendixes.
@  If you are doing, say, a master index (Wodgett Documentation Index) for
a set of volumes (Wodgett Installer's Guide, Wodgett User's Guide, Wodgett
Administrator's Guide), you won't have multiple Index xrefs from multiple
volumes duplicated in your generated Index.  Instead the master book file
from which you generate the master index will have its OWN Ix-Xref.fm file
with no duplicated xrefs and edited and formatted to point to the
appropriate targets.
@  You can also apply conditional tags to the cross-reference paras with
their markers to switch them in or out depending on what the target manual
or index is.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor