Re: Autonumbering

At 11:03 AM 9/3/00 +1000, you wrote:
>I am a new framer who was having trouble with list numbering. I solved it by
>setting up 2 styles, numbered1 and numbered. Numbered1 is <n=1> and numbered
>is <n+>, works like a charm. Just don't forget to start any new list with
>numbered1.
When you create a brand new (empty) document in FrameMaker, the two
paragraph formats,
Numbered and Numbered1, are included in the paragraph catalog. However, if
you examine
the formatting for these paragraphs in the Paragraph Designer's Numbering
panel, you'll note
that the autonumbering format does not have a series label. For numbered
lists, the usual
series label is L. That is, the autonumbering format for Numbered1 should
be L:<n=1>, and the
format for Numbered should be L:<n+>. This identifies both paragraph
formats as being part of the same
autonumbering series. The use of unque series labels for each independent
autonumbering sequence
(e.g., numbering for sectin headings, figures, tables, etc.) is that the
autonumbering in one
series cannot interfere with autonumbering in paragraphs whose autonumber
formats
use a different series label. Without series labels, there will be
interference all over the place.

Suppose, for instance, you want a numbered list with two levels (the second
level indented),
in which the autonumbering in the second level is lower-case letters. Now,
you need three different paragraph
tags, Numbered1, Numbered, and Alpha. The autonumbering for these three
paragraphs (all three with the same
series label) would be as follows this time I'll add some punctuation to
the autonumber formats:

For Numbered1: L:<n=1>.< =0>\t
For Numbered:   L:<n+>.< =0>\t
For Alpha:          L:< ><a+>)\t

Where:
L is the series label. This prevents the autonumbering in paragraphs that
have different
series labels from interfering with the autonumbering for you list.

< =0> resets the Alpha counter to 0

\t is a tab stop (Numbered1 and Numbered have the same tab stop setting,
but Alpha has a tab stop whose position is more indented.

< > is an empty counter (for the first level), which does not show up in
the resulting
autonumber produced by Alpha

If you want to learn more about how to autonumber successfully, read my PDF
paper
entitled "Autonumbering in FrameMaker". You can find it at:

http://www.microtype.com/
Click on the Resources link, and scroll down to :Dan Emory's Articles.
You'll find the article there.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646