No Subject

Framers:

> This is what happens to us all the time (we have the same setup--NT
server,
> Macs used for publications). We have never found out why, when no one else
> has the file open, it gives this message. If you ignore the message and
hit
> the okay button, it seems to be fine, but it's a pain because you can't
> just hit the return key because the default on the message window is
Cancel.

> Has anyone else had this problem and figured out why it does this?

This is an NT problem here. The server does not recognize who is working on
the document. A Macintosh automatically locks an open file for other users
(via AppleShare or FileSharing), the NT cannot do this. And you cannot do
anything about this. :-((
<<<<<

You can protect yourself from file corruption on those occasions when
someone else IS editing the same file. Choose File > Preferences and set
Network File Locking ON.  This supplements any file locking available from
the operating system by creating a small *.lck file which stores the name of
the current user, allowing someone else attempting to access the file to
find out who already owns it.  (This is the default method used by FM on
UNIX.)

[FrameMaker 5.5.6, Acrobat 3.02, Windows 98, HP OmniBook 2100]

Regards,
Hedley Finger   Technical Writer

Subscribe to the alternative framers:
<mailto:majordomo@omsys.com?Subject=Subscribe%20to%20framers>; message must
consist of only (no signature) --
     subscribe framers your@preferred.email.address
     help
     end

Ericsson Australia Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9301 6214   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9301 6199
Email. hedley.finger@ericsson.com.au

Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Cell. +61 412 461 558   Fax. +61 3 9809 1326
Email. hfinger@handholding.com.au