Re: Font substitution--SUMMARY (One FrameScript solution)

USING FRAMESCRIPT TO SOLVE ONE '"INVISIBLE" FONT USAGE' PROBLEM:

Due to my #$*^& tendencies to be too picky, we use "font versioning" for
our on-demand books.  For example, adjusting metrics & kerning or
cleaning up a problem character.  The result is that instead of using
(these are bogus names) "Times" in a book, we use "Times_1" and then
that changes to "Times_2", etc., etc.  Each font version is locked once
it has been used.  It is a bit of a shell game.  "Times" is always the
most current version. However, a book only uses "Times_1" (or "Times_4"
or whatever).  We make changes in "Times" and then copy it to "Time_X"
(where X is a number).  NOTE THAT THIS REQUIRES FONT EDITING SOFTWARE TO
ALSO CHANGE THE INTERNAL NAMING AND NUMBERING OF THE FONT. ALSO SOME
COPYRIGHT ISSUES HAVE TO BE CONSIDERED IF YOU ARE NOT THE CREATOR OF THE
FONT.

"Times_2" might then used in the first edition of a book.  By the time
the next edition of that book is issued, we are probably up to using
"Times_5".  We thus have to change ALL INSTANCES of "Times_2" to be
"Times_5" in the Frame files for that book.

We developed a FRAMESCRIPT, with the assistance of Frank Elmore of
Framescript, to do this very easily.  This method will change EVERYTHING
except certain Reference Page instances, etc.

This same script could be used to solve the very common problem that
Chris describes below.  The intent is the same -- change all occurrences
of Arial to Helvetica, or whatever.

I will be happy to share a copy of this script with anybody that would
like it.  It may take a couple of days before I get around to emailing
them out, thus be patient.

Note that to use it, you need to obtain FrameScript from :
     http://www.frametools.com/

Jay

Joel Dippold said that Chris Despopoulos said....

"INVISIBLE" FONT USAGE

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com