Re: Chapter Numbering and Generated TOC

Dick -

If you've got a template that can automatically set the BOOK level
information for prefixes (or suffixes) so I don't have to mess around
with the individual files' setup info when I add, delete or rearrange
files in a book, this is fantastic! Send me this template RIGHT AWAY!

I agree that a well-designed template can make the numbering _within_
a chapter (even one that must be split into multiple files) automatic,
but I have not found any way to get it to generate the proper chapter
number references in the associated generated files like a Table of
Contents or Index.

The only way I know to manage this task is, as Wendy notes, to perform
the setup process for each of the chapters.  And, as also noted, this
is subject to errors whenever the order in the book is modified.

| Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:25:13 -0500
| From: Richard Phillips <rgphill2@mediaone.net>
| To: Wendy Hitchins <wendyh@ot.com.au>
| CC: Framers@FrameUsers.com
| Subject: Re: Chapter Numbering and Generated TOC
|
| Rather than trying to fix your problem remotely, I suggest thaat you use
| my autonuwber template, which I will email on request. I promise it will
| fix your problem.
|
| Dick Phillips
| ============================================
| Wendy Hitchins wrote:
|
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I am trying to generate a table of contents that includes the chapter
| > number and pagenumber in the reference.
| >
| > i.e.
| >
| > Statistics......................1-1
| >     Alarms......................1-3
| >     Events......................1-4
| >     TCAP........................1-7
| > Configuration...................2-1
| >     Alarms......................2-3
| >     Events......................2-4
| >     TCAP........................2-7
| >
| > At the moment to achieve this numbering in the chapter, my footer says:
| >
| > Page <$paranumonly[ChapterTitle]>-<$curpagenum>
| >
| > (Note:  I have only numbered the chapter, not the consecutive headings)
| >
| > My problem, is getting this numbering in the generated table of
| > contents.
| >
| > At the moment, the only way I can do it is to set up the file from the
| > book with a prefix that represents the chapter number.
| >
| > Is there a more efficient way of doing this?  i.e. using the reference
| > page in the TOC file?  I am concerned that using the set up file method
| > is open to error if I change chapter order or remove a chapter.
| >
| > btw, I am using Frame 5.5.2
| >
| > Thanks
| >
| > Wendy

| > Wendy Hitchins
| > Switch Consulting
| > Australia

- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley              | email:  LSmalley@Infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.  | phone:  (302) 239-2942 ext. 13
 Hockessin, DE  USA 19707-0310  | fax:    (302) 239-1712