Re: Cross-references Won't Update

Colin,

I must be missing something here. Are you getting  an "unresolved cross
reference" message or a message saying "updating cross references"? Your
subject says "Cross-references Won't Update" but your message seems to
be saying that you're getting too many updates for your taste. Clarify
if possible. (Otherwise, my earlier offlist answer is all I can tell
you.)

Thanks.

Craig
P.S. Welcome back Thomas. Nice to see you posting again.

>>> "Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com> 11/11/99 06:40PM >>>
>I've gone though and updated all my cross-reverences in a book file,
file
>by file, using the Find/Change Unresolved Cross-references
functionality.
>I've further checked my work by applied the Update Reference
functionality
>to each file. No unresolved cross-references are to be found.
>
>When I regenerate the book, however, a message in the status bar of
the
>book file informs me that Frame is updating references in four of my
eight
>files in the book. I open those files, search for unresolved
reference:
>nothing.

There is a (un)known bug in Frame concerning the status of
(un)resolved x-refs between book updates and file updates. However,
the effect of that bug is that if you open a document that according
to the book update contains unresolved x-refs and search for them,
the search will find unresolved x-refs that are actually resolved.
The remedy is to first update the x-refs in the individual file
before performing the search; in that way, only the real unresolved
x-refs will be found.

However, I haven't seen this work the other way around, i.e. that
the book update reports unresolved x-refs that cannot be found...
In any case, try to first update the x-refs in the individual file
before starting the search, and see if they'll be found then.

The reason for the bug seems to be that a book update doesn't
correctly (re)set the flag for each individual x-ref that FM uses
to find unresolved x-refs. Only when the update is performed in
the individual file, these flags will be (re)set correctly.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW 1:  http://hem1.passagen.se/framers
WWW 2:  http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072 (not ready)