From: asmith@memco.co.il [mailto:asmith@memco.co.il]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 8:37 AM
To: framers@omsys.com
Subject: A FrameMaker .toc question

Hi. A coworker is having a problem generating aTOC. It sounds to me like
some setting is wrong, but we can't seem to find it. The problem, in his
words:

----------------------------
I wanted to add a  .toc file to my book, using an existing .toc file as a
template for the .toc file of my book.  I followed the instructions in the
FrameMaker manual to add a generated file (in this
case, a TOC) to my book file.  I then generated the file and got the TOC of
my book, but in the default style that FrameMaker produces.   I didn't get
the .toc file to look like the existing .toc file
that I want to use as the template.  I then tried File/Import/Format, but
that didn't work.  I then tried what Framemaker suggests in its manual
(p.339 FrameMaker 5.5 User Guide) if you want to use a
template or an existing generated file in a book file (which is the case
here).

It worked.  Sort of.

Now, every time I generate the book, something strange happens.  The cover
page and copyright page appear exactly as I want them.  The next page, which
is the beginning of the table of contents,
starts off with the Table of Contents heading that I want.  However,
immediately under the Table of Contents heading, the TOC appears in its
entirety (the headings and pages are correct), but in
FrameMaker's default TOC style, immediately followed by the table of
contents (the headings and pages are correct) in the format that I want.
The headers and footers appear in the file as I want
them.  The only way to get rid of the "extra" toc is to manually delete it
after I generate the book.  However, I don't want to do that every single
time.

I tried renaming the book file, but that didn't work.

Any ideas on how to remedy the situation?

Thanks,

Josh

Any help will be, of course, majestically appreciated.

TIA,
Avi

Avi Smith, Technical Writer
Memco Software Ltd., A CA International Company
Tel: 03 765-8320    e-mail: asmith@memco.co.il

"It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future."
- Yogi Berra