Re: Acrobat 4 issues

Still no word on why it is exactly my print bureau can't use Acrobat 4
files, but I'll post that information as it becomes available.

I needed to get some PDFs done fast, so I uninstalled Acrobat 4 and went
back to Acrobat 3.01, with the 3.02 patch for Distiller. Even after
rebooting countless times, I couldn't get Distiller 3 to work! I kept
getting the following warning:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: FmPD2 ]%%

Stack:
/DOCINFO
(FrameMaker 5.5.6p145)
/Creator
-mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
**************************************

Wanting to start fresh, I uninstalled Acrobat 3 again, deleted my
PostScript fonts, installed Adobe Type Manager, which I hadn't been
using to this point, and reinstalled all my fonts using ATM.

I then reinstalled Acrobat 4, taking care to delete the old Acrobat
Distiller printer driver first. Upon trying to conver my latest
postscript file, created with the new printer driver installed with
Acrobat 4, I ran into the same error message as with Acrobat 3!

Switching between optimizing for speed/portability didn't work, but
turning off the generation of Acrobat data did. The resulting PDF was on
the wrong size page, didn't have any bookmarks, but did print coloured
text correctly, which solved one of the problems I'd been experiencing
earlier.

Finally, I reinstalled FrameMaker and restarted my machine again, but
without any luck. I still get the error message when trying to generate
Acrobat data, but I can create a PDF, although I have to crop the pages
and create bookmarks by hand - not much fun.

I'm ready to say there's a problem with the software! I'm running newly
installed versions of the latest Adobe products from beginning to end,
starting with Frame, managing my fonts with ATM, running through the
Acrobat Distiller driver, generating PDF with the Distiller application
(why do they have to have the same name?), and peforming final tweaks in
Acrobat (formerly Exchange).

Even though I'm in a properly installed and pristine Adobe environment,
I get unacceptable results. I'm frustrated. I'd really like to hear if
others have run into similar obstacles.

md.