Double Indexes

Excuse the cross-post, but I am at my wits end desperate for help.

I have managed to create an index and format the text. I changed the text
flow to group the entries (instead of A, B, C... I made it A -- H, I -- P, Q
-- Z; it's a small index).

Here's my problem:

The entries didn't group after I changed the Reference Page, so I updated
the index, thinking that would help. Now I have the original, ungrouped
index where it always was on the first 3 pages of the file, and the updated,
grouped index (or so it appears) all squished into part of the footer frame
on page 2??? Can anybody tell me what in the world I did, and how to undo it
and get the effect I'm after?

 Thanks for any and all help!
--B
barb.ostapina@experian.com
(630) 932-2584
Opinions expressed are mine and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of Experian,
and may not even be coherent.