Re: Adding a paragraph format and/or table after table footnotes

| From Framers@FrameUsers.com Tue Sep 14 13:00:25 1999
| From: Mike_Foster@tivoli.com
| To: Framers@frameusers.com
| Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:44:45 -0500
| Subject: Adding a paragraph format and/or table after table footnotes
|
| I have a 10 page table with about 10 table footnotes at the end of it.
|
| If I add a Body paragraph (which is just regular paragraph text) after
| the last table footnote (by simply hitting the carriage return key at
| the end of the last table footnote and reapplying the Body tag to the
| Tablefootnote tag), and then change the Pagination properties of the
| Body tag to something like top of page, the change is ignored (although
| changing the default font for the Body tag works OK).
|
| Not only that, if I place my insert mark at the end of this Body
| paragraph, I cannot use the Insert Table command (it is grayed out) or
| paste in a table from the clipboard.
|
| Anybody else had problems with adding paragraphs after table footnotes
| at the end of a table?
|
| I am creating an unstructured document using FM+SGML Version 5.5.3, NT
| version.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Mike

>From your description, you are not adding a Body paragraph AFTER the
table footnotes, but rather to the end of the LAST table footnote.

This is an important distinction, as you can not nest tables inside
of one another in FrameMaker (or FM+SGML for that matter), which is
why the Insert Table option is grayed out, and pasting a table does
not work either.

It also explains why the pagination characteristics for the body
paragraph are ignored - the table footnotes _always_ appear
immediately after the end of the table that contains the footnote
reference.

If you want to add a paragraph AFTER the table, you need to have
the insertion point positioned in the text flow AFTER the table
anchor (inverted "T" character visible if text symbols are displayed
-- use the ESC v t shortcut or View -> Text Symbols menu item)
which will be BEFORE the table itself in the document.

Then you can press RETURN to create a new paragraph which you can
format to your heart's content via the designer, ad hoc styling, etc.

- Lester
  Lester C. Smalley                   | email:  lsmalley@infocon.com
  Information Consultants, Inc.       | Phone:  (302) 239-2942 ext-13
  Hockessin, DE  USA 19707-0310       | FAX:    (302) 239-1712