UPDATE: Windows'9X & Windows 2000 PostScript Drivers

FrameMaker & PDF Forum Readers:

This is an UPDATE to email I sent out on July 16 and July 21
plus some new information of interest to persons who will be
upgrading Windows NT 4 systems to Windows 2000.

AdobePS 4.3 Bug
===============

Adobe's PostScript driver development group has isolated the code
and has fixed the code that caused the crashes and hangs in programs
that utilized the driver PostScript passthrough facility to output
EPS graphics in the output stream and/or PDF data (FrameMaker's
"generate Acrobat data" feature and the PDFMaker macro for Microsoft
Word, as examples).

The fix will be in a driver maintenance release, AdobePS 4.3.1, currently
being tested at Adobe with a projected September or October release date.

I will report back to these forums when we have an availability date
for AdobePS 4.3.1 on the Adobe web site.

Windows 2000 PostScript Driver
==============================

As more than one user has noticed and has privately communicated to
me, the AdobePS 5.x drivers for Windows NT 4 do NOT install under
Windows 2000. (Yes, I know that it isn't officially released. But
anyone with a few dollars can now officially buy the Beta 3 or
Release Candidate 1 CDROM of Windows 2000 as an evaluation version
from Microsoft. And some of you are trying it out already.) This is
by design. Internal font handling mechanisms of Windows 2000 are
significantly different than for Windows NT 4, for example.

The standard PostScript driver that will ship with Windows 2000 is
in fact an updated version of what is available as AdobePS 5.1 for
Windows NT 4, the result of a long term joint driver project between
Adobe and Microsoft. There is no plan at this time to ship a separate
AdobePS for Windows 2000.

	- Dov