Using FM as a Formatting Engine (Win95-PC, FM 556)

Greetings,

I am seeking advice and experiences from those that have used or attempted to
use FM as a formatting engine to format database output IN WATCHED FOLDERS.

Using FrameScript, I believe that it ought to be possible to watch folders and
process text files (which, in the text, contain tagging and command
information), turning them into highly formatted FM docs, including tables.

I did not say that it would be a pretty FrameScript, but I think it should be
possible.

We have done some parts of the functions.  Especially, we do a lot of work a
text document containing "tagged text" into Frame-tagged text.  In the
process, the tag statements are deleted from the source text.  We have also
done scripts that do a variety of straddling, custom ruling, custom shading,
etc., based on the textual content of table cells.

Has anybody done.....

1) Using FrameScript on PC-Win95 to watch folders at timed intervals --
remember we are not running on Unix or Mac.

2) Building TABLES from tagged text and instructions.

To head off a few questions/reactions....

A) We are considering this method because the available database output format
engines don't seem to be able to VARY THE STRUCTURE/COLUMNS PER LINE ITEM
BASED ON VALUES IN THE LINE ITEM.  The available reporting systems are great
at outputting line items as long as you don't want their columnar structure to
vary depending upon the type of line item, etc.  Writing a report to generate
tagged text is "easy".  Getting that report to format it highly into tables,
etc. is something else again.

B) We are trying not to get into a potential 5-figure cost of a database-to-FM
"solution".  I do not have any experience with those "solutions", however, I
suspect that given the variability of row/column structure (and even custom
ruling) per table row, some of the "solutions" would not be easy.  (I
anticipate that I am going to get an earful about this, but I just don't see
spending that much money for this function.)

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: jay@jaysmith.com