Spelling checker having trouble findind straight quotes

Has anyone else noticed the 5.5.6 spelling checker failing to report
straight quotes? I've got Smart Quotes turned on in Text Options, and
Find Straight Quotes turned on in the Spelling options, but it's not
picking up any of a number of straight quotes.
I've noticed this on a couple of machines now, each running 5.5.6. In
both cases, the text was imported, one from straight text and one from
HTML, which is how those straight quotes were included in the first
place.

md.