RE: Structuring Tech Pubs

I would suggest Tech pubs be its group at equal management level to
marketing, eng, graphics etc.  Not a part of another group.  That is if
there are enough people to have a tech pubs dept.  We really do have a
place.  A lone TW usually works well in engineering as the voice of the
user.  I think it depends on your situation.

As with any well structured organization there needs to be a leader and a
coordinator with other depts.  Good communication is essential bewteen
depts.  For instance, something as easy as an engineering task database can
be accessible by writers and marketeers who can see the same info but put a
different spin on it.  You can then work with marketing to ensure that there
is no conflicting info but the message is the same.  technical Writing is a
field and has its own place in the world and should have an appropriate
department.  Now if we can just convince the rest of the world.