No Subject

framers@omsys.com
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:54:00 -0500
Subject: RE: Structuring Tech Pubs
Sender: owner-framers@omsys.com

The idea of tech writing being in marketing compelled me to respond ---even
though this is an off-topic thread. In my company, writers work in
engineering as members of the development team.

We are structured with each writer working for a development manager and
responsible for all doc on that product. In addition, one writer is the doc
leader and responsible for balancing workload, contributing to writer
reviews, developing writers professionally, initiating writer promotions,
and generally leading on such issues as style, tools, procedures, and so
on.

This is an interesting structure, because the workload is not equal for
every product and it may not be satisfying for an individual writer to be
stuck on one product. We can share projects, swap projects, or volunteer to
open new terrains. Each of us pursues a different tool, such as RoboHelp,
HTML, or Frame. We meet about doc issues and generally work well as a
"virtual" group.

By being in the software development group, we have access to the software
early in its development and a chance to participate in the design process.
For instance, if the engineers have a design discussion, the writer joins
in the meeting. In such meetings the writer learns why particular designs
are employed and can better explain the nitty gritty aspects of the
product.

The writer is responsible for developing a vital part of the product ---
the documentation. Because the documentation is part of the product, it
makes sense for writer to work in the development group.

Of course, it might make sense to have a Doc Manager someday, instead of a
Doc Leader, but this kind of structure works in companies with only a few
writers and whether the writers all work well together.

Ruth