Spacing in Run In Heads

Hello all
Platform: Windows NT FM 5.5.2
I have set some text as run in heads. This text was formerly tagged Normal.
When I tagged it as HeadingRunIn, the spacing between words increased. In
fact, the text in the run in head behaves as though it were justified when
in fact it is set to Left justify.

I have looked at the Paragraph Designer for both tags and find no difference
whatsoever in the word spacing (which is where I'd expect to set the space
between words.) Manuals of any kind offer no guidance.

This is probably very simple, but I just don't see where to look next. I'd
be grateful for any ideas. TIA

Janet Lohmeyer
The InterCept Group, Inc.
jlohmeyer@intercept.net