Re: Book File Doesn't Update or Print

= From: Donna Russell <donna@aimetering.com>
= Subject: Book File Doesn't Update or Print
= Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:32:59 -0600
=
= Does anyone know why a book file will not update or print? After trying to
= update the book file, a message tells me it can't update the first file in
= the book. So, I removed it  and tried to update the book file again. I got
= the same message as earlier but now for the new first file in the book.
=
= I'm using FM 5.5.6 on Windows NT.
=
= Thanks for your help,
= Donna

What has changes since you last did this, or is this the first time you're
updating this book?

What happens when you open an individual file?

If you get any sort of error or warning messages, that is the root cause
of the book problem.

FrameMaker 'opens' each file in a book in order to resolve cross-refs,
set up the page numbering, starting page set, etc. etc. etc.

But, if there are any errors or messages that require user action,
such as the '...unavailable fonts; OK to reformat...', the BOOK level
update DOES NOT continue. The same effect occurs with printing.

If you open each file individually, at least you can (finally) decipher
the reasons for failure at the book-wide operation.

This is an area where FM's 'diagnostic' information is woefully lacking.

It would be a tremendous improvement if you at least were able to see
what caused a problem, such as a message pop-up or information written
into the FM console window such as:

    File "Chapter 1" uses unavailable fonts.
        { list fonts that cause the problem }

    File "Chapter 3" missing graphic file "Screenshot.wmf"

    Book "User Guide" Generate/Update can not continue.

FrameMaker is a great program, but it's diagnostic output is pitiful,
such that there almost needs to be a complete 'troubleshooting' guide
included in the PRINTED documentation.

I understand the economic forces for moving to on-line guides and help,
but can't divorce myself of the "security" of holding an honest-to-god
_useful_ document -- my screen is too small (19-inch!) to keep open all
the tools I need as it is, much less online help and the like.

- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley                    | email:  lsmalley@infocon.com
 Manager, Computer Systems & Training | USMail: P. O. Box 310
 Information Consultants, Inc.        | Phone:  (302) 239-2942 ext-13
 Hockessin, DE 19707-0310             | FAX:    (302) 239-1712