RE: InDesign and Frame

At 8:32 AM -0600 11/3/99, Larry D. Polk wrote:
>I agree with you, Adam, about FrameMaker not being publicized enough. It
>is certainly true that plenty of people who are using Word should be
>using Frame. However, I doubt that the financial decision makers are
>willing to see it our way. As sad as it is to say, all too often the
>mindset is "why spend so much money on one application [FrameMaker],
>when we can get a suite of applications [Office, WordPerfect, etc]". I'm
>sure you would agree, that the best decisions aren't *always* made when
>money is on the line.

But the point *is* the money, in the form of wasted time and low
productivity, or in some cases, there are things we do with Frame that
simply can't be managed by Word.  As so often happens, people are penny
wise and pound foolish.  If your writers are paid any kind of wage at all
they will recover the price of FrameMaker in a relatively short time
through increased productivity, but because it's difficult to measure the
productivity improvement and the reduction of hassels, it doesn't show up
on the books.  Things that affect productivity negatively result in
insidious losses, and there's no spot in the ledger for them.  It means
that decision makers need to understand why Frame can help them.  For that
you need to promote the product with demonstrations and whatever else you
can muster.  Frame isn't perfect, but next to Word, it rules.

- web