Re: Preserving Character Formats in Cross-Re

Steve,

In cross-reference formats, <$paratext> indeed ignores all
character formatting present in the extracted paragraph text,
except font family properties, superscript and subscript.
These properties are retained only if implemented through
a character tag and applied using the character catalog.

To preserve a property such as italic (or bold), you need
to have a different font name for the required variation
(even though visually it is the identical font).
For example, text tagged with a character format using the
"Univers Condensed Oblique" font preserves the oblique property
when it is cross-referenced.

In my computer (without doing anything particular to achieve
this), I have several fonts where various weights are listed
as separate fonts (eg Rockwell Light, Rockwell; Stone Serif,
Stone Serif Bold; Univers Condensed, Univers Condensed Oblique).

If you don't have the required font variation listed as a
different font, you can use a font editing program (my favourite
one is Fontographer) to open an existing font variation,
change the font name, save it and install - you will then have
your variation listed as a separate font.

Regards,

Shlomo Perets

MicroType
http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Course / Solutions