SUMMARY: PS fonts in FM/NT4

A month ago, I asked the following:

> We only use PostScript Type 1 fonts in our Frame documents
> (no TrueType fonts), in particular "Times", "Courier" and
> "Helvetica" (not the TrueType equivalents).
>
> I'm interested in knowing how these PS Type 1 fonts become
> available to a FM user on *Windows NT4, without ATM*.
> We have installed FM on NT4 and automatically have access to
> these fonts, but some users who install FM do *not* have
> access to them on their computers (also running NT4).
>
> Do these fonts come with FM, are they part of the NT system,
> or where do they come from? (they are also available in
> MS Word and other applications)

Thanks to Alex Ragen, Dave Truman and FrameMaker support at
PtS in England for their help.

None of the "standard" PostScript Type 1 fonts (like Times,
Helvetica, Courier) comes with FrameMaker in Windows.
The font files for these fonts are not stored in the Windows
system, unless you have installed them there yourself.
Instead, it's the printer driver that supply these fonts to
applications under Windows. It's either your default printer
or the printer you have currently selected in your application
that decides what additional Type 1 fonts are available.
By selecting a true PostScript printer driver, you will get
access to the Type 1 fonts that the driver supports. When
switching drivers, you may get a message of the type "Font
information in the system has changed...".

I'm still curious as to exactly how the printer driver does
this and where the font information is actually stored, but
noone has so far managed to explain that. It cannot be the
physical printer's built-in Type 1 fonts that are used, since
they should need to be rasterized on-screen using ATM, which
we don't have. Or am I wrong about this?

Thomas Michanek, Documentation Manager, Telelogic Tau
Telelogic AB, Teknikringen 9, SE-58330 Linkoping, SWEDEN
PHONE/FAX:  +46 (0)13 200656/212166
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telelogic.com
WWW 1:  http://www.telelogic.com
WWW 2:  http://hem1.passagen.se/framers