autonumber works, but shouldn't

I've got a bit of an autonumer puzzle.

I've got some pre-existing doc in FM 5.5 on Solaris 2.5.1 that has
captions for figures using an autonumber with the autonumber definition

H:<n>-<n+>

throughout the book. All of the captions are in their own text frames,
but some are in the main flow and some are in not.

Somehow, with this definition, the autonumber increments for each
chapter in the first part (1, 2, 3, etc.) and resets to one before
continuing to increment in the second part (after the hyphen) for each
individual chapter.

This shouldn't be working, should it?

My own guess would be that I should have all the captions not in
the main flow (A), keep all the counters in their own series,
use a starter tag for the very first caption in each chapter (to
increment just the first part and set the second part to 1) and
an increment tag to maintain the number in the first part and increment
the number in the second part.

Is the approach I outline the usual one? And why does the old scheme
work? (I'm worried that with changes, it will break suddenly.)

Ezra