Re: FM+SGML: slow screen redraw

Mark,

Your slow screen redraw problem is probably because 1) you are using
TIFFs and 2) you did not mention it, but if you are working over a
network, and the TIFFs are on the server, that will do it too.

We do not use TIFFs for two reasons; this is one of them.  (The other
reason is that most/every program interprets the TIFF image data and
does so potentially differently; thus the same image *might* print
differently from application to application or version to version.)

For ALL our images we use EPS format files with a 1-bit preview.  EPS
is a file format, not just a type of image (i.e. not just vector).
(Most/all [?] applications only read the EPS header and preview data
and do *not* interpret the image data.)

EPS files tend to be twice the size of TIFFs, thus there is a bit of a
problem there.  However, in my opinion, you will have more consistent
image appearance over time.  Also, the 1-bit previews write to the
screen very quickly -- though they look terrible.  For our purpose,
the important thing is to know the size and to be able to generally
tell that it is a picture of a person and not a horse (or whatever).

If EPS is not a satisfactory answer, then you will have to have your
images on a local hard disk and pay some money for the biggest,
fastest graphics card you can find -- with a huge amount of memory.
Also, the fastest internal (bus?) speed of the computer for
communications between the graphics card and the main board -- double
that and you *may* halve your redraw time.

I am also sending (to you only; others by request) a bit that I wrote
on benefits and drawbacks of using EPS images.

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: jay@jaysmith.com

The Press for History(tm), The Press for Education(tm),
The Press for [Your Industry](tm), The Press for....(tm)
  On-demand printing and binding of hardbound books.
  Minimum run one copy.

P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991