Re: Master Pages in FM+SGML

At 08:26 AM 12/29/98 -0800, Barb Matuzak wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Does anyone know of a way (or an available plugin) to specify master pages
>through EDD formatting rules in a structured document? I could use separate
>templates for each type of file, but this is rather clumsy, as users need to
>
>use one template when they compile an entire book. Currently, they have to
>apply master pages before they are able to print. I would like the master
>pages to be triggered by the element types.
>
>Any help is appreciated.

There is a 3rd-party product named MPager from a company named PublishRight
in northern California that will do all this automatically.

You can reach them at:
          3045 Park Boulevard
          2nd Floor
          Palo Alto, CA 94306
      By Phone:
                                                            By Fax:
           650.470.7470
                                                                 650.470.7485
      By email:                                            By web-browser:
           info@publishright.com.               http://www.publishright.com.

Although I have no financial interest in this company, mention that I
referred you to them.

MPager is a FrameMaker API client. It automatically applies the applicable
master page of any properly named, non-default, left/right pair (e.g.,
Landscape Left and Landscape Right), provided you insert a marker type that
must be reserved for that purpose. The marker text specifies the stemname of
the master page name to be utilized. MPager then determines whether the left
or right version of that master page pair is applied.

MPager not only automates the master page usage process, it also eliminates
the laborious process of reassigning such non-default left/right master page
pair each time a page ripple occurs.

Among other things, it can also automatically apply the master page of your
choice to the ending blank page of each file in a double-sided book.

In FM+SGML, you could make the master-page-identifying marker type either a
non-element or element marker. At the first point where a deviation from the
default left/right pair is required, you insert a marker specifying the new
master page type. Then, at each subsequent point where a transition to a
different master page type occurs, you insert another marker. The actual
application of the marker-specified master pages is accomplished from the
FM+SGML menu bar (when the MPager API client is installed, it adds things to
the menu bar).

MPager can also be useful in database publishing applications that use a
database-to-FrameMaker merging engine (such as UniMerge or PublishRight's
own product) capable of automatically embedding the MPager markers. Each
time a shift in master page usage is required, a new marker is inserted in
the merged FrameMaker output. When you open the resulting document in
FrameMaker, the left or right master page (as applicable) of the designated
master page pair is automatically applied to each page of the document.
     | Nullius in Verba |