Re: Search index not available

Actually, I don't know about ISO 9660. If it does require you to
use only uppercase letters in filenames, you may be SOL--I
don't think the UNIX version of Acrobat Reader will recognize
uppercase filenames as the components of the full text search
index. The other requirements shouldn't be a problem. All of
the components appear to comply with the 8.3 restriction and
consist of only letters and numbers. Once you downcase the
filenames, they work on Windows platforms as well as UNIX (off
the top of my head, we ship on SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, DEC
and probably some others I can't think of right now). I'll have
to find out what file systems we use on our CDs.

--Jeanette

Peter Ring wrote:

> But what if the customer wants the PDFs on a cd-rom with a ISO 9660 file
> system, targeted for both Windows 3.1, Windows NT 4.0, and different UNIXes?
> As you know, ISO 9660 allows only 8.3 format filenames, using only the
> letters 'A' to 'Z', '0' to '9' and '_'.
>
> Another problem: can I assume that most UNIXes will be able to mount an ISO
> 9660 cd-rom?  I tried the other day on DEC OSF UNIX 3.2, only to learn that
> the 'cdfs' (ISO 9660 to the world) filesystem was not loaded. Easy to
> correct for root, a showstopper for an ordinary user.
>
> I know this question may appear be a bit off-Frame, but many Framers and
> PDFers operate cross-platform (that's why they chose FrameMaker and
> Acrobat):
>
> In short, if you feel like this is a problem you have met before, what
> filesystem(s) would you prefer for multiplatform cd-roms?
Jeanette Feldhousen, Mentor Graphics Corporation

Haiku error message:  Windows NT crashed./I am the Blue Screen of
Death./No one hears your screams.  (Peter Rothman)