Re: Manual Name placed in Chapters?

At 10:53 AM 12/15/98 -0700, Framers@FrameUsers.com wrote:
>>From barryj@ontario.com  Mon Dec 14 16:21:23 1998
>I'm trying to get a Running H/F (in a chapter template) to pick up the name
>of the manual, but even after building a book, and triplechecking the
>variable itself, I am unable to get the manual name to appear.
>
>The Frame. manual suggests that these variables can grab from tags in other
>chapters (in this case, from the Front Matter chapter), though it doesn't
>detail the process, leaving one to assume that it operates like a variable
>that would grab the Chapter Title or specific headline tag.
>
>Is it possible for a a chapter to grab information from another file using
>variables? Or do I have to set up the Manual Name as a cross reference?
There's only one way to use a variable for this purpose, and that's to
create a user-defined variable named ManualName that's in all the templates,
as well as every file of the book, including the file (hereafter called the
"master" file) containing the title page.

It's likely that the "master" file also has other things (e.g., release
date, document number) that should also be created as user-defined variables
that are included in all book files. Variables, including ManualName, in
this category are hereafter called "global" variables, because their
definition are identical throughout the book. That is, all instances of
Manual Name (and other things represented by "global" variables) are
inserted in the the running header/footers of templates, as well as in the
body text of all the files in the book, as variables.

So, in the "master" file, you dont't type in any of the things defined by
"global" variables, you define and insert the applicable variable instead.
Then you use the "master" file to import those "global" variable definitions
into all the other files of the book.

Note that the "master" file need not contain all the user-defined variables,
only the "global" ones. Thus, if other files in the book have user-defined
variables which are not "global," their definitions will be unaffected when
you import the variable definitions from the "master" file into them.

To accomplish an update of "global" variables throughout the book, proceed
as follows:
1. Open the book file.
2. Double-click on the "master" file (the one with the title page) to open it.
3. Choose File > Import > Formats.
4. In the Import Formats dialog box:
        a. Choose the "master" file as the document to import formats from.
        b. In the Import and Update section, turn on Variable Definitions,
           and turn off all the others so that only the variable definitions
           will be updated.
        c. Move all the files whose "global" variables you want to update
           into the Update list.
        d. Click Import.
This procedure must be repeated when you change any of the "global"
variables definitions in the "master" file.

     | Nullius in Verba |